In order to configure Active Directory and Proofpoint Essentials you will need the following:
1- Active Directory URL or IP Address (this URL or IP has to be externally accessible)
2- Read-only Account for access (username, password)
3- What port to use
4- Base DN value i.e.: DC=mycompany,DC=local
You may also need to open the firewall ports to accept incoming LDAP requests. Please refer to Connection Details for a complete list of external IP addresses.
CONFIGURE PROOFPOINT ESSENTIALS
- Sign-in to the Proofpoint Essentials user interface.
- Navigate to Company Settings> Import Users >Active Directory.
- Choose the desired default role from the dropdown.
. A Silent user will receive a quarantine digest report but will be unable to login to the user interface.
. An End user will receive a quarantine digest report and will receive a welcome email from Proofpoint to login to the user interface.
- Enter the Active Directory URL.
- Enter the Username and Password of the read-only user account Proofpoint will use to connect to your environment.
- Choose the Port that should be used to establish a connection (Port 636 is recommended).
- Enter the Base DN value to query your Active Directory forest.
- Choose What to Sync
- Active Users
- Disabled Accounts
- Functional Accounts
- Security Groups
- Include items hidden from the GAL (Global Address List)
- Choose How to sync accounts.
- Create new user accounts and groups
- Sync Updated Accounts
- update existing user accounts and groups
- Delete Removed Accounts
- Remove accounts from Proofpoint Essentials that are no longer found in Active Director
- Choose When to Sync accounts.
- You can choose to sync never (which you would need to run manually) or every 1, 3, 6, 12 or 24 hours
- Click Save.
- Click Search Now.
- Verify the user and group objects that were identified in your Active Directory account.
- Click Sync Active Directory.